How to QualifyIn order to qualify for the accelerated depreciation allowance, the implemented noise control measures (e.g. machines, equipment, systems or devices) must:
- Be new (used or reconditioned items are not eligible);
- Belong to the applicant (rented items are not eligible);
- Not carry other health risks e.g. excessive chemical exposure; and
- Not have received financial grants from other Government agencies.
A Certifying Agency must be engaged to take the readings.
The noise level readings will be taken as follows:
- For machines, equipment or systems with in-built noise control features:
The reading should be taken either from 1m away or at the operator's location, whichever is nearer; or
- For machines, equipment, systems or processes with noise control devices or measures installed/implemented:
Readings should be taken both before and after installation/implementation, while all other acoustic conditions remain the same. The reading should be above 85 dB(A) before installation/implementation.
The readings should be taken either from 1m away or at the operator's location, whichever is nearer. An exception to this is when enclosures/sound barriers have been installed, in which case, the readings should be made at the boundary of the enclosure/barrier. Workers who enter the enclosure/barrier must also be adequately protected from the noise.